Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Post Secret

I actually first found out about Post Secret at the book store. I had no idea what it was and bought the book. I was very surprised and impressed with it. Looking through all of the submissions, in the book and on the website, some of them seem fake but the variety of illustrations and the differences in design lead me to believe that if they are fake, independent, individual people are sending them in. I do not think the people that run Post Secret make up any of the post cards. As for the people who send in fake post cards, they must have some inner or subconscious reason for doing it.

I think this site has a useful function because it helps people feel connected to each other and humanity in general. Sometimes, especially when ones life is not going well, one can dwell on their problems and inadequacies and feel isolated from the world around them. This kind of detachment can be very painful, just like keeping a secret. When I read the post cards I empathized or sympathized with all of them. Each one was very touching. Projects like Post Secret bring people to understand how similar we, as people, are to each other. It causes us to see through the isolation to the connections.

The post card that really stuck out to me was the last one on the first page. It is a dollar bill and on it is written “we are all apart of something bigger- and we are all apart of it together.” The symbolism the dollar bill has to this statement, as well as how well the statement ties into the function of Post Secret, made it stand out to me. Post secret shows the connection we all have (which includes the fact that some of the submissions are probably made up.)

No comments: